Class of 1955
The Churack Pavilion, on the boundary of Memorial Oval, is not only an outstanding sports and viewing facility, but also caters for the many needs of students, Old Boys’ communities and guests of the College. The principal donor and fundraiser for its construction was Geoff Churack (one of three Churack boys 1946-55) who says the much-needed building was a great opportunity to express his thanks and appreciation to the Christian Brothers, the College and his parents for their contribution to his education and values.
Geoff came to Aquinas from the North Dandalup Primary School (where his Dad was the headmaster). Geoff made a major contribution to the College over the next four years. He captained 1st XI Cricket, was vice-captain of 1st XVIII Football, and a member of the Athletics, Swimming and Shooting teams. He was Under Officer in Cadets and a College Prefect.
On leaving school Geoff worked for GM Holden in Mosman Park and studied accountancy, business and sales management, and people skills. He also learnt how to manage and own car dealerships in a growing West Australian population. Since 1965, he has had active interests in Holden, BMW and Toyota dealerships. He still gets his greatest pleasure from seeing good young people grow and succeed.
The Australia Day Awards recognise the achievements of a diverse group of West Australians who have excelled in their fields to enrich communities in which they live. In 2018, Geoff was made a Member (AM) for his philanthropic support of medical research and education at both Notre Dame and Murdoch universities as well as his service to the retail automotive industry and many sporting groups.
Geoff’s commitment to cricket and cricket people is also evident through the many WACA committees and his Life Membership of the Incogniti Cricket Club (England and WA). He remains an ongoing benefactor of Aquinas College and the University of Notre Dame.